Our Heritage

The town of Lewisporte was incorporated in 1946. In the 1950’s and 60’s the community made rapid advancements. Water and sewage systems, a high school, a water reservoir, a Canadian National shed and wharf, paved streets and a local newspaper were added to the town. In 1965, a marine haul out and service center were established, which served as a wintering and maintenance facility for tuna boats, recreational craft and inshore fishing boats.

Lewisporte has grown to a population of approximately 3500 and has many recreation facilities and amenities; playgrounds; ball parks, stadium, bowling alley, Woolfrey’s Pond municipal park. Banking, financial, legal and medical services have been established, along with restaurants, lodgings and retail trade.

While we’re always looking to the future, we are committed to preserving and honouring Lewisporte’s heritage. You’ll find detailed information on Lewisporte’s history and culture at By the Bay Museum, located on Main Street Lewisporte beside the beautiful Notre Dame Bay. Originally constructed as a school house in 1945, the building has been a central part of the community throughout the years.

Today, By the Bay Museum is home to hundreds of local artifacts and stories of years gone by. The museum aims to tell the story of Lewisporte and surrounding area through the stories and experiences of those who have lived here.